Study Abroad Study Abroad
Home > England > London > FAQs


London- Frequently Asked Questions

Passport and Visa

Do I need a passport even if I’m only going for a month?

Yes. Always bring a passport with you when traveling to a foreign country.  Remember: make lots of copies of your passport!  Leave one behind with your emergency contacts and put a copy of your passport in each piece of luggage you take with you, including your carry-on.


Do I need a Student Visa if I’m only going for a month? What about if I go for a quarter or semester?

Students on summer and semester programs do not need to obtain a visa. If you plan on extending your stay or doing independent travel after your program ends such that your time abroad will exceed 6 months you will need to obtain a visa before you enter England. All year students are required to obtain a visa from the British Consulate nearest you before departure. Please be aware of when to apply for your visa by looking at our Passports and Visas information page.


Should I keep my passport with me every place I go during my time abroad?

No.  Leave your passport and other important documents in a safe place at your apartment.  However, you should carry a COPY of your passport at all times.  That way, should you misplace your wallet or purse, you will not lose your most vital information.


What should I leave behind for my parents/emergency contacts?

Leave your correct contact information, a copy of your airline tickets, a copy of your passport and visa (if applicable), and your Onsite Program Director’s contact information.  

City Information

What is the typical weather in this city?

The National Weather Service provides an International Source Weather service with information on weather conditions.  Check it out at  If you want to find out more information on typical weather in London try  This site provides information on current conditions, historical statistics, seasonal weather, and much more.


What types of clothes should I bring?

Typically, London is cold and wet throughout the year.  In the summer GSE students should bring pants, jeans, skirts, long and short shelve shirts, and rain clothing.  In the fall, winter, and spring be sure you are prepared by bringing rain clothing.  It is also recommended during these seasons to bring a warm jacket, sweaters (and/or sweat shirts), thick pants, and long shelve shirts.


Will I have free time?

GSE offers numerous group activities, but there is also plenty of time to explore and experience all that London has to offer.


What are some things to do?

In London and the surrounding areas it is easy to find any type of activity.  Within the city limits you can discover London through its numerous historical sights, museums, galleries, pubs, theaters, world class soccer matches, shopping districts, and nightlife. The universities also provide plenty of campus activities and events.


Should I bring a computer?

If you decide to bring a computer on this trip then you must assume all responsibility for the computer.  GSE is in no way responsible for the loss or damage of any personal items while participating on a GSE program.  Middlesex University, University of Westminster, and London Metropolitan University also have computer labs accessible to all GSE students.


What type of transportation does the city offer?

As a major urban city London has numerous means of transportation.  All students are provided with a “tube” (metro) pass good for the beginning of their program.  The metro system of London is easy to use and provides transportation to major districts of the city center. Access to London’s bus system is included in the “tube” pass.  These means of transportation will help ensure that GSE students can travel throughout the city at their own leisure.

University Information


Is attendance mandatory?

Attendance is mandatory.  All matters of attendance comply with the attendance policies of Middlesex University, University of Westminster, and London Metropolitan University.


Do credits transfer?

Middlesex University, University of Westminster, and London Metropolitan University are fully accredited universities.  Many U.S. students before you have taken the exact classes that you will be signing up for.  Those who received credit complied with the same protocol set in GSE’s “Transfer Credit” instructions.  Also it is important to comply with the policies of Middlesex University, University of Westminster, and London Metropolitan University, which include regular attendance, participation, and completion of all required tests.


Are there university courses that are optional?

You must enroll in a minimum of one course at Middlesex University or the University of Westminster and in four courses at London Metropolitan University.  GSE offers you the freedom to choose from numerous courses in various subject matters.


What will books and school supplies cost?

The cost of these items in a semester program will be about $250.  You will be instructed within your first days of class on how to obtain these items.




Are meals provided?

During summer programs at Middlesex University two meals per day Monday-Friday are provided.  Semester and year long GSE programs do not provide daily meals.  We recognize that each student prefers their own type of diet.  In order to allow students to eat when and what they want GSE does ensure that all student housing is equipped with a kitchen.


Who will I be living with?

Typically, you will live with other members of your program, but you might also have the opportunity to live with other foreigners.  Most likely you will be living in a multi-room apartment and be sharing a room with a friend (if applicable) or a GSE participant who most closely matches your Student Housing Preference questionnaire.


Will I have a single, double or triple room?

As a GSE participant you will most likely share a room with one other person.  If you are participating in the program with a friend GSE will try to accommodate the two of you together.  Remember to let GSE know that you are going with a friend so that housing assignments will be according to your liking.  If you are not going with a friend GSE will match you up with a program participant who most closely matches your answers on the Student Housing Preference questionnaire.  Occasionally students will have a single or triple room.


Copyright© 2011 Home - Information Center - Why Study Abroad? - What's Included - Policies
Global Student Experience, a California Corporation
All Rights Reserved
Application - Request Programs Catalog - My Account - Contact Us
Site Map - Resources
Web Site v1.0 (Build 5.0) (10/02/2012 04:41 AM) / Ready-Flex-Go v1.5 (Build 0.80)