Study Abroad Study Abroad
About Us Health & Safety Credit Transfer Passport & Visa Insurance Financial Aid Financial Aid Eligibility Site Map

Study Abroad Programs Available In:

Frequently Asked Questions

If you still need answers after reading this page feel free to contact us and our team would be glad to answer any additional questions.

Can I afford to study abroad?

Yes! Numerous scholarships are available and federal loans, scholarships, and grants can be used to study abroad. Check out the GSE Financial Aid Information.

If I am receiving financial aid can I study abroad?

Yes, GSE students may use most forms of federal, state, and private financial aid or loans while studying abroad. Financial aid may be allocated to cover all “reasonable” costs for a study abroad trip. Generally, in order to receive financial aid a student must carry at least a half-time load at the foreign institution and receive transferable credit for the program toward his or her degree. Credit received on a study abroad program does not have to fulfill major requirements, but must be recognized as elective credits that advance the student toward a degree (i.e. language credits).

Do you have to be a language major to study abroad?

No, students who study abroad can have any major. All domestic educational institutions require students to satisfy general education courses. By studying abroad students have the opportunity to continue to fulfill these requirements even at a foreign institution.

Do I have to speak a foreign language to study abroad with GSE?

In almost every program it is not required to speak a foreign language. GSE does provide recommendations to students on how long they should study a language prior to studying abroad to ensure a more comfortable transition into a foreign university.

Is my GPA high enough to study abroad?

The minimum GPA requirement is a 2.5 for most programs.  All London programs have a minimum requirement of a 2.7 GPA.  Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB) requires students to have 3.0 GPA.  Also to attend Lorenzo de' Medici in Florence students will need a 2.8 GPA.

Can I receive transferable credits while studying abroad?

Of course! In order to receive transferable credits while abroad it is important to follow the GSE guidelines on Transfer Credits.

Will I graduate on time if I study abroad?

By planning ahead carefully and consulting an academic advisor there is no reason why studying abroad will hinder a student from graduating on time. In fact, some students return from their programs ahead of their studies!

What level of college (year) must I complete before I can study abroad?

Once you have completed one semester/quarter at your home institution and do not have any academic restrictions it is feasible to study abroad at any time.

Do I have to study abroad for a full year?

No, program destinations offered by GSE are structured for long and short term programs. For students who wish to avoid taking a semester/quarter or year off from their home institution GSE provides four to six week long summer programs. Also there is the option of enrolling in semester or quarter programs. This option allows students more time to experience a foreign city. Semester and quarter programs are two and half to four months in length.

Passport and Visa 

Do I need a passport even if I’m only going for a month?

Yes.  Always bring a passport with you when traveling to a foreign country.  Remember: make lots of copies of your passport!  Leave one behind with your emergency contacts and put a copy of your passport in each piece of luggage you take with you, including your carry-on.


Do I need a visa if I’m only going for a month? What about if I go for a quarter or semester?

For summer programs, the need for obtaining a visa is only dependent on if you are deciding to go abroad for more than 90 days.  If you are going for under 90 days you will not need a visa. Please be aware of when to apply for your visa by looking at our Passports and Visas information page.


Should I keep my passport with me every place I go during my time abroad?

No.  Leave your passport and other important documents in a safe place at your apartment.  However, you should carry a COPY of your passport at all times.  That way, should you misplace your wallet or purse, you will not lose your most vital information.


What should I leave behind for my parents/emergency contacts?

Leave your correct contact information, a copy of your airline tickets, a copy of your passport and visa (if applicable), and your Onsite Program Director’s contact information. 


Copyright© 2011 Home - Information Center - Why Study Abroad? - What's Included - Policies
Global Student Experience, a California Corporation
All Rights Reserved
Application - Request Programs Catalog - My Account - Contact Us
Site Map - Resources
Web Site v1.0 (Build 5.0) (10/02/2012 04:41 AM) / Ready-Flex-Go v1.5 (Build 0.80)