Taught in English by industry professionals, this course provides an in-depth introduction to the French wine industry and an overview of strategic issues surrounding French wine today. As part of the course, you will learn about the regional factors influencing how wine is made, and through tastings you will learn to better appreciate the results. Through case studies looking at the economics and marketing of wine, you will also learn how France’s wine industry has evolved and how it is reacting to the emergence of global competitors in an expanding marketplace. These two sides of the same fascinating subject will enhance your understanding of both local French traditions and also the impact of globalization on the food and drink industry.
This course will cover the following areas:
• Investment in the French wine Industry
• Introduction to the making of French wines
• Appellation d’origine controlee: history, principles and rules
• The French wine industry in the world: position and economies
• Understanding a French wine label
• Specificity of French wine production: "What is terroir?"
• The keys to understanding the classification of French wines
• Champagne--a world apart: process, region, economy
• Specificity of marketing French wines
• French wines compared to new world wines