Home > Spain > Barcelona > Programs > Program Overview > Course Requirements > Course Description
University of Barcelona (UB)
Intermediate and Advanced
Two to three semesters of college level Spanish is recommended
Literature - Stories Written by Female Writers (22.5 hours)
The course will take place during two terms and has as its main objective the study of stories, short-stories and brief narrations written by female writers since the XIXth century up till now. In order to achieve we will start with a brief introduction to the morphology of the story dealing fundamentally with its structure, content and narrative forms.
Equally the professor will provide students with the basic knowledge about the period and the female writers which will allow them to read and analyze the different chosen texts.
• The morphology of the short-story.
• Stories written by female writers.
• Female issues in stories written by female writers.
• Male and female characters seen through the eyes of a woman.
• Reading, anlysis and commentary of fragments or brief stories written by women in the
XIXth century: Fernán Caballero, Emilia Pardo Bazán and Rosalía de Castro.
• Reading, analysis and commentary of fragments or brief stories written by women from the XXth century up till now: Rosa Chacel, Carmen Laforet, Elena Quiroga, Ana Mª Matute, Carmen Martín Gaite, Josefina Aldecoa, Ana Mª Moix, Cristina Fernández Cubas and Almudena Grandes.
• Writing as an instrument to claim equality between the sexes.
The course will be based on an Anthology of texts collected by the professor.
In the Anthology each text will be preceded a few brief biographical lines which allow the students to situate the female writer and contextualize adequately the text.
Literature - The Writer and the City (22.5 hours)
To trace a route through the history of Spanish narrative prose of the XIXth and XXth centuries, taking a thematic referent: specifically the city of Barcelona, and its writers. Texts which describe several cities of Spain and the world are presented and studied.
In level B, the course content additionally tries to provide news about the writers, their works, their literary schools and movements, etc…
• The vision of Barcelona from certain Catalan writers: Vázquez Montalbán,
Juan Marsé, Félix de Azúa, Enrique Vila Matas, etc.
• Madrid and its writers: from Pérez Galdós to Camilo Jose Cela.
• Paris in the texts of some Spanish writers.
• Adolfo Sotelo Vázquez, Viajeros en Barcelona, Barcelona, Planeta, 2005.
• Students are given a file with the texts that have to be read and commented.