Home > Spain > Barcelona > Programs > Program Overview > Course Requirements > Course Description
Spanish 300 - Upper Intermediate (Superior) Spanish
University of Barcelona (UB)
Spanish 200 or equivalent
This course focuses particularly on communicative strategies in the formal register, although conversational language will also be addressed: structures of syntax and function, vocabulary and semantics.
Emphasis will also be placed on producing texts (coherence, cohesion and appropriateness) and students will be helped to develop their skills in both written and oral expression as well as in reading and listening comprehension.
1. Sentence structure (I). Updating and genericity. Uses of pronouns and impersonal
2. Sentence structure (II). Verb tenses and modal verbs.
3. Sentence structure (III). Periphrastic verb phrases expressing modality.
4. Sentence structure (IV). Grammatical structures in sentences with ser, estar and other
linking verbs. Main functions.
5. Sentence structure (V). Functions and uses of adjectives according to their position.
6. From sentence to text. Constructions with adverbs, prepositions and conjunctions.
Functions and uses.
7. Narrative and descriptive structure in written texts. Noun sentences with double
infinitive constructions. Relative clauses with an indefinite object. Informative structure
in temporal sentences.
8. Argument and counterargument (I). Conditional, concessive and adversative phrases.
9. Argument and counterargument (II). Causal, consecutive, final and comparative
10. Objective text and modal text. Use of the superlative in syntagmas and whole
• GARCÍA SANTOS J. F. (1997), Sintaxis del español. Nivel de perfeccionamiento, Madrid,
• MARSÁ, F., (1997), Nuevos modelos para ejercicio lingüístico, Barcelona, Ariel.
• MATTE BON, F., (1992), Gramática comunicativa del español, 2 vols., Madrid, Difusión.
• MILLARES, S., (1995), Método español para extranjeros. Nivel superior, Madrid,