Component 1: Grammar
This component will look at the following topics:
1. The alphabet. Pronunciation, syllables and accents.
2. The verbs "ser" and "estar". Fundamental values: identification and localization.
3. Nouns and adjectives. Numbers and numerals.
4. The article: definite and indefinite. "A", "de", "en", "sobre". Prepositions "ir" and
5. Adjectives and demonstrative pronouns. The adverbs "ahora", "antes", "despues",
"aquí", "ahí", "allí".
6. Question and negation. Posessive adjectives. The verb "tener"
7. Regular conjugation. Present indicative of verbs ending with AR. Personal pronouns.
The verb "gustar".
8. Present indicative of verbs ending with ER. The verb "hacer".
9. Present indicative of verbs ending with IR. Personal pronouns: "llamarse" and "irse".
10. Irregular conjugation: "el presente de Indicativo".
11. Irregular conjugation: future and conditional.
12. Ordinal number adjectives
13. Past imperfect of the indicative of the verbs ending with: -AR, -ER, -IR.
14. Indefinite past of the verbs ending with: -AR, -ER, -IR. Interrogative
and exclamatory pronouns.
15. Past perfect of the indicative of the verbs ending with: -AR, -ER, -IR. The helping
verb "haber". Indefinite adjectives and pronouns.
16. Past pluperfect of the indicative of the verbs ending with: -AR, -ER, -IR. Use of past
17. Simple sentence construction and its elements.
18. Present subjunctive.
Component 2: Practice of Communicative Skills
This component will focus on helping students with the following skills:
Greetings and saying good-by
Resources for communication control
Vocabulary: Salutations, Days of the week, Months of the year
II. Give and receive personal information: age, nationality, marital status, profession, etc.
Vocabulary: Professions, Nationalities, class
III. Express preferences for travel
Vocabulary: Means of transportation
IV. Asking for and negotiating price
Asking for things in a store
Vocabulary: Stores, money, colors, clothes, fruits and vegetables
V. Talk about daily activities
Ask for and tell time
Be able to discuss ones present actions
Vocabulary: The home, daily routine
VI. Express likes and dislikes
Express support and disagreement
Talk about family
Vocabulary: Likes, the family
VII. Describe the location of places and objects
Physically describe a person
Speak about a person's character
Vocabulary: The city, physical description, personality, parts of the body
VIII. Give recommendations and advice.
Give and understand instructions
Vocabulary: Health, physical activities
IX. Learn to interpret television programming
Choose between products and justify your choosing
Vocabulary: types of programs, etc. types of stores
X. Talk about personal experiences
Talk about past events that are related to the present
Vocabulary: Nature, experiences
Component 3: Language Laboratory
To learn the basic structures of the Spanish language, vocabulary acquisition, and gain an understanding of Spanish phonology.
Grammar exercises and pronunciation and phonetic practical exercises.
Topics to be Discussed:
I. Individual student introductions (discuss briefly aspects about themselves)
II. The verb "estar", location.
Phonetic exercise: (b) and (p)
III. Physical descriptions-questions of understanding
Phonetic exercise: (t) and (d)
IV. Grammar exercises with present indicative verbs-questions and common
Phonetic exercise: (k), (g), (f), (s)
V. In a restaurant-vocabulary, likes and dislikes.
Phonetic exercise: (c), (m)
VI. Shopping, colors and other vocabulary.
Exercise: role playing: one student the client, the other the seller.
Phonetic exercise: (n), (ñ), (x)
VII.The family-speaking on the telephone, writing letters, conversations, etc.
Phonetic exercise: (r), (r)
VIII.Travel.-Expressing future plans.
Phonetic exercise: Affirmative phrases, interrogative.
IX. Expressing the past.
Phonetic exercise: interrogative and alternative phrases
Component 4: Oral Comprehension and Expression
The following topics will be looked at in this component:
I. Give and receive personal information (name, nationality, profession, age, address)
In class: how to ask for clarification (what chapter are we looking at, can you please
repeat, please speak louder, etc.)
Speaking in the present tense (Regular Verbs)
Talk about known and unknown things (definite and indefinite articles)
Express quantity (numbers, a lot, a little).
The existence or presence of things ("hay"/"estar")
II. The family and family relations.
Situation in space (prepositions and adverbs of location)
Physical description (adjectives)
Character description ("ser", "estar", "tener", "llevar"+adjective or name)
Time, dates, and weather
III. Daily routine (Irregular verbs)
Writing exercise: write a short composition of your daily activities.
IV. Express likes and opinions (gustar, parecer)
Demonstrate understanding and disagreement (tambien, tampoco)
The home: furniture and appliances
Parts of the body, illness (pain)
V. Present actions (gerund)
Express feelings (tener+sust. Ser, estar +adj.)
Express obligation (deber+inf., tener, hay que+inf.)
VI. Discuss the past while referencing the present (este/esta......., hoy, todavía no, ya)
Writing exercise: diary of daily activities and interests.
React to positive and negative situations
Interaction with the speaker (qué bién/mal, qué bena/mala suerte, vaya)
VII. Make reference to objects and/or people previously or presently mentioned in the
VIII. Give advice, instructions and orders.
IX. Discuss past actions. (ayer, .pasado/a)
X. Daily actions in the past (imperfect) (antes, ahora)
XI. Discuss future actions (future, ir a+inf.)